TOWN OF STETSON
Date: AUGUST 12, 2020
I. OPEN MEETING
Millard Butler opened the meeting by leading the Pledge of Allegiance.
A. ROLL CALL
Millard Butler, Leslie Merrill, and Danielle Withee were present. `(Brenda Clark was absent)
B. MINUTES OF THE MEETING
1. Approve July 22, 2020 Meeting Minutes.
Upon motion by Leslie Merrill, seconded by Danielle Withee, it was unanimously voted to approve the July 22, 2020 Meeting Minutes.
C. QUIT CLAIM DEEDS
1. Advantage Payroll Warrant # 3
Upon motion by Millard Butler, seconded by Leslie Merrill, it was unanimously voted to approve Payroll Warrant #3.
2. Expenditures # 3 & 4
Upon motion by Danielle Withee, seconded by Leslie Merrill, it was unanimously voted to approve AP Warrant #3.
Millard noted the Fire Department line, and why the decrease is not there. (Diane reported the change has been requested and will look into it)
Upon motion by Millard Butler, seconded by Danielle Withee, it was unanimously voted to approve Ap Warrant #4.
E. BOARD OF ASSESSORS
Diane informed the Board that the last payment has been made for the re-valuation, and there will be a report fourth-coming shortly.
II. OLD BUSINESS
1 Facebook Page Discussion
Sara Turner was present and again expressed to the board how a Town Facebook page would benefit the residents as to putting information out that the residents should be aware of.
Sara stated negative comments could be deleted or prevented. Sara stated that if the Board supported the idea then she would set the page up and be the administrator as she has the experience.
Consensus of the Board was that the Residents have the Stetson Rant and Rave Facebook Page that is updated, along with the Parks and Rec Facebook Page,
the Boards goal is to completely update the website page and to add the agendas for meetings to the website.
Both the Board and the office staff will be more diligent in keeping the website updated with as much information as possible.
If that effect does not work, the board will rethink their decision.
III. NEW BUSINESS
1 Shortening Nomination Process for Special Municipal Election
It was noted that Danny Withee’s resignation has been received in writing.
Upon motion by Millard Butler, seconded by Leslie Merrill, it was unanimously voted to shorten the Nomination Process from August 14, 2020 to September 18, 2020
to allow for a Municipal election to take place at the same time as the State Election on November 3, 2020 to replace Danny Withee’s term.
2 Municipal Plowing Bid
3 Sand Bids
The Board reviewed both previous years ads and noted 2 changes: 1. To add the Food Cupboard Location to the Municipal Plowing ad, and 2.
To add that a sample must be provided with the bid for the Sand bids.
Due date will be September 9, 2020.
4 Cemetery Trustees
Consensus of the Board was to support the idea of bringing back the Cemetery Trustees committee to do some research on the Trust Fund and improvement, such as replacing or repairing stones.
Upon motion by Millard Butler, seconded by Leslie Merrill, it was unanimously voted to appoint Julie Brownie as the Chair of the committee, along with Mary Annette as a member of the committee.
III. COMMITTEE REPORTS
A. ANIMAL CONTROL Nothing.
B. APPEALS BOARD Nothing.
C. CEMETERY Millard Butler expressed the importance of the newly created “Log Book”. This binder is for the selectmen to submit anything they have worked on or looked into and be available to the public.
D. CODE ENFORCEMENT OFFICER Nothing.
E. E911 Nothing.
F. EDUCATION Noted below.
G. EMERGENCY PREPAREDNESS COMMITTEE Nothing reported.
H. EMT/RESCUE Nothing.
I. FIRE DEPARTMENT Mark from Levant was present and presented the work that is required to the truck to be in use (see attached).
Mark reported that they are also going thru the building and gathering items that are no good.
Mark requested that maybe a board member be present to decide what is to be kept and thrown, the Board agreed.
J. MEETINGHOUSE Millard Butler reported that Himself and Diane met with the MMA inspector, and it was noted that there is a Smoke detector missing in the Meeting House,
and that the Fire Extinguishers have not been inspected. Mark of Levant stated that he will look into both of those issues.
Diane informed the Board that the insurance claim would not cover the tree removal, but did award approximately $10,000 for the water damage, and $12,000 for the roof.
Millard questioned why the steeple labor and material was not covered, even though the copper was donated, the replacement material and labor should be included.
K. PARKS & RECREATION Both Corey and Bethany Leighton were present and questioned if a bill board could be placed out front for events,
both Bethany Leighton and Sara Turner are looking into a grant to cover the cost. Bethany reported that Joe Gray has offered to haul off the old playground chips
and to help with the repairs of the Ball Field. It was reported that the bleaches are unsafe and need to be torn down.
Brian Furrow has offered to put a cement pad under the dug-outs, and Maynard Hawes has donated the paint for the dug outs.
Corey and Bethany requested permission to do a “Truck or Treat” in the office parking lot. Consensus of the board was to support that event provided the CDC guidelines were followed.
L. PLANNING BOARD Nothing.
M. PLUMBING INSPECTOR Nothing.
N. RECYCLING & SOLID WASTE COLLECTION Nothing.
O. ROAD COMMISSIONER Joe Gray was present and informed the Board that he has gotten prices from B & B Paving for a mile of the Wolfboro road and a section of the Lapoint Road.
This would cost approximately $164,000. Joe feels the funds would be best spent by patching and improving the roads this year and banking the remainder to hot top next year.
Millard Butler requested a written plan for the next meeting.
P. STATE LEGISLATIVE CORRESPONDANCE Nothing.
Q. TREASURER Nothing.
R. WELFARE DIRECTOR Nothing.
The Sequil training has been completed, but we will not go live until the assessing agent and the CEO have taken the training.
V. PUBLIC COMMENTS
Joe Gray stated that he thinks it time to gather up some volunteers to help with getting the Fire Department building in shape and other areas around town.
Joe stated he is very grateful for the town of Levant and all their hard work, but feels that the Stetson residents should also get involved. Joe will write an article for the next newsletter and the web-site.
George Hockstadter questioned what the return of school plan is and how the bussing will work as he has gotten calls requesting that information,
Corey Leighton stated that the busses will run following the CDC guidelines that have been set for buss companies, facemask, sanitizing stations for getting on and off the bus, 50 students per bus and only siblings can sit together.
Millard Butler suggested that anyone receiving calls requesting that type information should contact the school department.
Also questioned was the access to remote learning:
Delores Butler being present and on the Library Board stated that they are working on some things.
Leslie Merrill will contact the school and request some information on the above topics as everyone does not have the funds or the access for remote learning.
VI. SELECTMEN COMMENTS
Danielle Withee questioned if the town’s street lights could be changed to LED. Diane will call. Danielle also mentioned the signs for the ATV trails.
Diane will contact Danny Withee.
VII. EXECUTIVE SESSION
Upon motion by Leslie Merrill, seconded by Danielle Withee, it was unanimously voted to adjourn the meeting at 7:20 p.m.
Minutes are recorded by;