TOWN OF STETSON

SELECTMEN’S MINUTES

Date: AUGUST 14, 2019


I. OPEN MEETING

Brenda Clark opened the meeting by leading the Pledge of Allegiance.


  1. ROLL CALL

Brenda Clark, Charles Leighton, Millard Butler, and Leslie Merrill were present. Danny Withee was absent.


B. MINUTES OF THE MEETING

1. Approve July 24, 2019 Meeting Minutes.

Upon motion by Brenda Clark, seconded by Millard Butler, it was voted 4 to 0 to approve the July 24, 2019 Meeting Minutes.

8/5/19 EMERGENCY MEETING:

Upon motion by Charles Leighton, seconded by Millard Butler, it was voted 3 to 0 to approve the August 5, 2019 Emergency Meeting Minutes.

Leslie Merrill was not present at that meeting.


C. QUIT CLAIM DEEDS

None.


D. WARRANT

1. Advantage Payroll Warrant # 3

Upon motion by Millard Butler, seconded by Leslie Merrill, it was unanimously voted to approve Advantage payroll #3.


  1. Expenditures # 4

Upon motion by Charles Leighton, seconded by Brenda Clark, it was unanimously voted to approve AP Warrant #4.

Charles Leighton questioned if the tree work was completed….Joe Gray stated it is for now.


E. BOARD OF ASSESSORS

Upon motion by Charles Leighton, seconded by Millard Butler, it was unanimously voted to grant an abatement for Alan Goodwin for a Homestead Exemption.




II. OLD BUSINESS


  1. Septic/Leach Field Update.

Joe Gray reported the system has been buried, and the hole will be filled in with recycled gravel.

  1. Storage Building Update.

Joe Gray reported that he has placed a second phone call to get the building moved.

  1. Flag Poles and Memorial Stone placement update.

Joe Gray reported that the sonotubes and anchors will be put in this week. The benches are at Newport Monument being cleaned.



III. NEW BUSINESS

Diane reported that the Bangor Daily news add was $130.00


III. COMMITTEE REPORTS

A. ANIMAL CONTROL Diane reported that she has left 2 messages for Noel to create the monthly reports.

B. APPEALS BOARD Nothing.

C. CEMETERY Nothing.

D. CODE ENFORCEMENT OFFICER Nothing.

E. E911 Nothing.

F. EDUCATION Nothing.

G. EMERGENCY PREPAREDNESS COMMITTEE Nothing.

H. EMT/RESCUE Nothing.

I. FIRE DEPARTMENT Brenda Clark reported that she received a message for Karl Tracy stating the gas needs to be hooked up to the generator.

The Board questioned why this is just being reported when the generator was installed in March. Diane will call Dead River for the Hook-up.

J. MEETINGHOUSE Millard Butler is still trying to reach Scott Bellefleur. Brenda Clark questioned what to do with the floor, as the paint does not stick.

Danielle Withee stated that she had talked to Maynard Hawes and he suggested a click flooring that was waterproof. Danielle will try to get an estimate.

K. PARKS & RECREATION Nothing.

L. PLANNING BOARD Nothing.

M. PLUMBING INSPECTOR Nothing.

N. RECYCLING & SOLID WASTE COLLECTION Nothing.

O. ROAD COMMISSIONER Joe Gray was present and reported that Coboro and 5 other roads will be dug out and fixed next week. Charles Leighton

questioned if there was any paving scheduled, Joe stated that his plans were to work on the dirt roads and pave next year.

P. STATE LEGISLATIVE CORRESPONDANCE Nothing.

Q. TREASURER Nothing.

R. WELFARE DIRECTOR Nothing.


S. OTHER

In discussion dealing with the plowing contract, Millard Butler stated that the Town should respond to Rick Faloon about accepting his declining of the Bids.

Majority of the Board felt that there was not discussion to be had. Mr. Faloon does not want to meet in a Public Meeting to discuss what the issues are and were.

Consensus of the Board was to allow Millard Butler and Charles Leighton to meet with Mr. Faloon to discuss the concerns.

Diane questioned the Gilman plumbing estimate for the repairs to the boy’s bathroom, $1,780.00 and what was the Boards direction with the estimate.

Consensus of the Board was that the estimate is very high for replacing some toilets. Brent Dorman stated that he felt it was time that the Board finds a

maintenance person for dealing with issues within the building that does not require professionals. The board questioned if Mr. Dorman would be interested in that area of service. Mr. Dorman agreed.


IV. TRAINING

None.


  1. PUBLIC COMMENTS

Mark Merrill requested the Board support a referendum question allowing the residents to vote on applying for a low interest loan to pave all the roads

at the same time and getting it done rather than spending $200,000 a year for minor upgrades. Joe Gray stated that there is approximately 10 miles of dirt roads.

Leslie Merrill stated the Town would use a lot less sand and salt if the dirt roads were paved. Mark felt this could be accomplished with $350,000.

Mark will get figures and report back to the board.

Mark Merrill also questioned spending $140,000 for snow plowing every year when the town could purchase their own trucks and plow the roads much cheaper.

Mark stated that the fire department is not responding to calls, so the town could contract with Levant for fire services and sell the fire trucks to purchase and house the plow trucks.

Leslie Merrill stated that some of the Board members met with the Levant officials to get information on how much it would cost the town of Stetson to

contract with the Town of Levant for fire services, and that amount was $20,000 per month to contract.

Millard Butler stated that the fire department’s volunteers are showing up for trainings, and there are now 12 people on the roster.

Millard stated that the Board is on top of this issue and has agreed to give the department time to prove themselves.

Jody Lyford also questioned why the Fire Department was not testing the generator on Mondays during the trainings and did not realize before now that it was not hooked up to gas.

Brent Dorman stated that it has been brought up several times to get a low interest loan to do the roads and supports that idea.

Brent also agreed that the fire department does not respond and debates the amount of $20,000 a month that was stated earlier in the meeting.

Brent stated his discouragement of the amount of money that was charged for tree cutting and questioned what the minimum dollar amount was to go out to bid.

Both the Selectmen and Diane agreed that a few years ago that amount was changed from $5,000 to $10,000 because of road work.

George Hockstadter again informed the Board that Mr. Faloon would attend an Executive Session with the Board. The Board again asked George to not speak for the Board.


  1. SELECTMEN COMMENTS

None.


  1. EXECUTIVE SESSION

Upon motion by Millard Butler, seconded by Leslie Merrill, it was unanimously voted to enter into Executive Session per 405 (6) (A).

No action taken as the result of Executive Session.


  1. ADJOURNMENT

Upon motion by Millard Butler, seconded by Leslie Merrill, it was unanimously voted to adjourn the meeting at 7:30 p.m.




__________________________________Brenda Clark


__________________________________Charles Leighton


__________________________________Millard Butler


__________________________________Leslie Merrill


__________________________________Danny Withee


Minutes are recorded by; Diane Lacadie

Diane Lacadie