TOWN OF STETSON
Date: OCTOBER 14, 2015
I. OPEN MEETING
The meeting was opened with Don Carroll leading the pledge of Allegiance.
A. ROLL CALL
Don Carroll, Brenda Clark, Priscilla Dorman, Charles Leighton, and Danny Withee were present.
B. MINUTES OF THE MEETING
1. Approve September 23, 2015 Meeting Minutes
Upon motion by Charles Leighton, seconded by Brenda Clark, it was unanimously voted to approve the September 23, 2015 Meeting Minutes.
C. QUIT CLAIM DEEDS
1. Advantage Payroll Warrant #8
Upon motion by Danny Withee, seconded by Charles Leighton, it was unanimously voted to approve Payroll Warrant #8. (Diane will verify if title should be 3 Week Payroll and verify the figures)
2. Expenditures #10
Upon motion by Brenda Clark, seconded by Danny Withee, it was unanimously voted to approve AP #10.
E. BOARD OF ASSESSORS
Assessing Agent Danielle Smith will be present to discuss Assessment of Taxes on Everett’s Landing and adjoining roads assessments. (requested by Priscilla Dorman)
Danielle Smith was present and addressed the concerns of the Board dealing with any Errors and Omissions.
Danielle explained to the Board that Last Year, the Board requested a new Land Value increase per State Valuation Land Assessments. Danielle completed the adjusted land schedule in 3 days and found problems with Coboro Road and completed abatements to fix the problem. Now there is a problem with Ralph’s Lane and Everett’s Landing. The base lots are too low, they decreased by $9,000 to $25,000, $30,000. These lots should have had an increase of $9,000. Danielle printed off examples of these errors from the tax cards to allow them to see what had happened. (see attached). In the future, more time needs to be allowed for a across the board schedule change and there is also a report that can be printed from the Trio system that shows percentage of change that would help with any future errors.
Don Carroll stated that although there have not been a lot of errors, we should move forward with some sort of check list for both the assessor and the board members.
Priscilla Dorman stated that when errors are made, Taxpayers and Board Members should be notified of the error, and not just by sending a tax bill. Priscilla also questioned the abatements that were processed for Mr. Hewitt, Danielle explained that his sub division lots should not have been assessed as improved lots. Priscilla stated that supplemental bills would have to be sent out to correct last year’s error, and wanted it noted that last years were wrong and should have another set of eyes on the assessing.
Danielle noted that only 2 residents should up last year to discuss the errors then.
Don Carroll also stated that there are a lot of buildings going up without permits.
Dennis Annett also questioned why his veteran’s exemption has not yet been applied.
II. OLD BUSINESS
1 Noel Sarabella, Animal Control Discussion
This was table do to Mr. Sarabella being ill and will be put on the next agenda.
2. Discussion of Trees on Coboro Road
William Barriault and Danny Withee went to look at the trees, there are 16 trees total, and both agree that there are 7 or 8 that are in need of coming down. The burnable wood would be left for the property owner if wanted, or sold, and the brush would be removed. There are no power line concerns. Consensus of the Board was to notify the owner before the removal begins. Don Carroll will talk to the owner.
3 Culvert on Mt. Pleasant Road
William Barriault informed the Board that he has revisited the culvert and property owner and still feels there is nothing that can be done by the Town to help the situation other than lower the culvert. Barriault also stated lowering the culvert would not help much.
4 Road Advisory Committee (Report from Gail Hipsky)
Gail Hipsky was present and reported information and discussions that were discussed at the Road Advisory Committee Meeting on 10/5/2015. Gail provided a spreadsheet regarding the different labeled roads and their standing in the County Records.
Gail requested the next step to be an open meeting for Public Input and any recorded documentation the public can provide. Gail would like the Public Notice posted for the April 1st meeting.
Concerns stated were:
Don Carroll stated there is not rush for this meeting because we are not going to stop plowing these roads. These residents are our neighbors/taxpayers/ and friends, and we have been maintaining for years.
Gail Hipsky stated that the town needs to stop spending tax payer’s money on Private Roads. The private roads should have Road Associations. And if the Board or the Town is not willing to do what needs to be done because of all this research, then the Associations work has been done for nothing. Gail stated that she has spoken to Peter Coughlin, the town roads that have not been reported to the State, needs to be accepted. Public Easements need to be a vote of the town to allow funds to be spent on those roads. State Law states “Do not spend town funds on Private ways.” Peter Coughlin is also willing to come to a meeting and explain these laws and concerns. Gail stated this is not the Board’s money, it is the taxpayers.
Brent Dorman stated all roads need to be kept safe and passable. Brent feels the only roads being attacked is the lake roads that provide a significant tax base.
Gail responded stating that statement is not true, the emergency personnel have the right to clear the road if needed and not to be sued.
Priscilla Dorman stated that she has spoken with Carroll Laplante and there are roads that have been accepted and are not on the spreadsheet Gail provided and that all homework has not been done, and that a public meeting should not be held until all information is gathered. Gail then questioned why that information was not provided at the Advisory meeting on the 5th. Priscilla stated that she did not have the information at the time. Priscilla stated that Stetson is not Bangor and we do not have the same tax base. Stetson taxes come off our back. She also pointed out that Stetson’s seasonal residents do not have the right to vote.
Gail stated labeling and accepting the roads is the first step to a 5 year road plan and it needs to be done.
Don Carroll thanked the Advisory Committee for all their hard work.
Ray Gallant stated that the roads need to be made official, and get them excepted to be fair to all residents.
Diane Lacadie explained that there is 2 ways to bring this question to a referendum. One is with the support of the board, and the other is by petition.
III. NEW BUSINESS
1 Tax Acquired Property Bid Opening
SEE ATTACHED SPREAD SHEET
III. COMMITTEE REPORTS
A. ANIMAL CONTROL Nothing.
B. APPEALS BOARD Nothing.
C. CEMETERY William Barriault stated that there is rumor that the State will be doing the ditching by Clark’s Hill Cemetery.
D. CODE ENFORCEMENT OFFICER Nothing.
E. E911 Nothing.
F. EDUCATION It is MMA’s legal opinion that the town does not have to “accept” the school once built or before April 1st.
G. EMERGENCY PREPAREDNESS COMMITTEE Nothing.
H. EMT/RESCUE Nothing.
I. FIRE DEPARTMENT Carl Tracy was present and provided the requested information dealing with training pay. To be eligible for training pay, the members would be required to attend ½ the paid trainings, and ½ the non paid training to be eligible. There would be a 6 month probationary period, and there is an 8 month probationary for EMS training eligibility. Don Carroll requested a list of the officers that were voted in by the department, so that the Board could appoint them. This is done every year. Carl also reported that they are doing smoke bomb simulations.
J. MEETINGHOUSE The Board thanked Brent Dorman for painting the new ramp at the Meeting House.
K. PARKS & RECREATION Nothing.
L. PLANNING BOARD Nothing.
M. PLUMBING INSPECTOR Nothing.
N. RECYCLING & SOLID WASTE COLLECTION Nothing.
O. ROAD COMMISSIONER Barriault stated that he and Danny Withee would be able to cut the 7 or 8 trees that needed to be cut, but how would the brush be removed. Barriault will get an updated estimate and the board will decided from there. He is still in hopes that the section of Coboro Road will be paved this year.
P. STATE LEGISLATIVE CORRESPONDANCE Nothing.
R. WELFARE DIRECTOR Nothing.
S. OTHER Nothing.
Diane requested the office to be closed one day the first of December for a mandatory training that the whole staff needs to attend in Augusta. Diane will come back with the exact date.
V. PUBLIC COMMENTS
VI. SELECTMEN COMMENTS
Don Carroll complimented the article that Charles Leighton wrote for the News Letter. Don felt it was a job well done.
VII. EXECUTIVE SESSION
Upon motion by Priscilla Dorman, seconded by Charles Leighton, it was unanimously voted to adjourn the meeting at 8:05 p.m.
Minutes are recorded by; Diane Lacadie